Sunday, February 28, 2010

How does faith and infertility meet?

I was online searching for how religion and fertility treatments meet. Basicly looks like the Christian belief is that something that aids the couple in natural conception is acceptable but if there is a third party involved it is not. So I can take shots or meds to help but no IVF or IUI or other treatments similar. One site even said that infertility is God's way of telling you to adopt. Harsh but it is an option I'm very open to.

James 1:2-5
2 Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. 5 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.


I am coming to terms with the fact that maybe I will not have a child naturally. It's not so bad because I remind myself that God does not make mistakes. That he knows my path and I'm just along for the ride waiting for instruction or waiting until I'm open to His instruction.

I pray daily that God will reveal His purpose for my life and that he will give me the strength to accept what ever it may be. I want children in my future but what is that is not God's purpose for my life? Can I accept that? With God all things are possible so with time and God's help the answer would be 'yes'

I won't quit trying until I'm told I truly am infertile I've got a few more months before we would start getting tested for it. My worry is my age - 35 this June. My weight - "too much". Maybe my focus right now needs to be on getting me to healthy state so I can more easily carry a child. Who knows maybe these extra pounds are what keeps me from getting pregnant again.

Saying prayers and hoping for the best.

Found this article interesting:
http://byfaithonline.com/page/in-the-church/infertility-mastery-or-mystery

an excerpt from the article that struck me:

And for the couples going through the suffering of infertility: Remember that our God is One who brings life and promise. An expanded appreciation of the story of redemption, and an understanding of the corporate-ness of our life together in the gospel, may expand our view of how we – even childless – can contribute life to this, our Father’s world.

As one couple wrote, “We might never look to someone and say, ‘She has my eyes.’ But God, please make it so that we might look to someone and say, ‘She has my faith.’” We know this well, because it is taken from our journal in 1994. Through our experience we came to confess more resolutely what we now teach our children from the Heidelberg Catechism: that as our Almighty Father, He truly is “able to turn to our good whatever adversity He sends us in this sad world.” The mystery of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment